Capernwray New Zealand has its roots in the UK at a place called Capernwray Hall, a large property near the Lakes District. It was formed immediately after the Second World War by Major W. Ian Thomas as part of the broader movement for reconciliation between nations that had been at war.
Although clearly a Christian organisation, the British government sponsored hundreds of German young people through the Summer camp programme which had just begun. The one requirement of the sponsorship programme was that the German young people be given one hour's lecture per day on the values and benefits of a democratic society. Thomas also gave insightful teaching from the Bible and soon these guests began to discover the adventure of knowing Jesus Christ personally.
The work spread throughout Europe and then onto the rest of the world reaching New Zealand in the late 60's to Howick, Auckland with a mixture of holiday weeks and Bible training schools.
Statement of Faith
God is the triune God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Capernwray: Statement of Faith
- The Lord Jesus Christ is God's Son being one with the Father. All things are created by Him and for Him.
- The Lord Jesus Christ became Man through the operation of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, He became man.
- He was without sin and of His free will, and by His sacrificial death upon the Cross, He brought about salvation for this fallen world.
- He is the only mediator between God and mankind, and by accepting His salvation through faith, a person is justified from sins and receives forgiveness and eternal life.
- Jesus Christ is risen bodily from the dead.
- Jesus Christ will return to deliver just judgement and to bring all things to completion.
- The Holy Spirit is God in unity with the Father and the Son.
- We believe that through the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ comes to dwell within those who accept Him through faith. Through the presence of the Holy Spirit, a person becomes a new creature, and is being transformed into the likeness of Jesus Christ.
- Jesus Christ adds those who believe in Him to His Body, His Church, the Body of Christ on earth, a Fellowship of all true Believers, of which He is the Head.
- The Bible is, in its entirety, the revelation of God for mankind, inspired by the Holy Spirit.