Frequently Asked Questions
What should I bring with me to school?
Students are sent a packing list upon acceptance and it can be accessed at the links below. Please refer to these documents for most of your packing needs.
Can I bring my musical instrument?
Yes! - If you play a musical instrument please feel free to bring it along. We would love to share this gift/talent with you at school.
Do I need to bring a laptop?
Yes - Either a laptop or tablet is required to complete coursework. There are no computers designated for student use on campus. Wifi vouchers or personal hotspots can be used with student devices to access the internet. If access to technology is an issue, please contact the office and we will see if there is a possible accommodation.
Do we need to bring our own sheets etc.?
Sheets, pillows, pillowcases and quilts are provided by the school. You will need to bring your own towels (face-cloths, hand-towel, bath and beach/pool towels).
ABS: Refer to packing list for requirements.
Do I need work clothes?
Yes - Students participate in weekly workdays around the property. Please bring clothing that would be suitable for cleaning and working outdoors.
What do we wear?
We expect students to dress in a way that is clean, tidy and modest while at Capernwray. Casual clothing is allowed for lectures, but bring at least one set of good clothes for church and special occasions.
We understand modesty is a complicated topic and cherish the opportunity to help students discover where Jesus fits into their relationship with their appearance. That said, we do have a dress code students must adhere to at Capernwray, to maintain the culture of our school. We see this as a beautiful opportunity to have deep conversations around the topic of modesty. More information will be sent after acceptance around the specifics of our dress code.
What Bible and other books do I need?
Students must bring a Bible with them, preferred translations being NASV, NKJV, NASB, NIV or ESV. Costs for any other books are included in the student equipment fee and some of these will be yours to take upon leaving. Students must provide their own general stationary.
Medical & Travel Insurance
Do I have to have medical / travel insurance?
Yes - Travel/medical insurance is compulsory for all students entering New Zealand to study. The New Zealand Ministry of Education has provided minimum requirements for appropriate levels of insurance coverage and these requirements form part of the Ministry’s Code of Practice, which Capernwray has elected to follow.
Who pays if I get sick?
Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded heath services in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the cost of that treatment.
What if I have an accident?
The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand. However, you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed here. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded heath services are available through the Ministry of Heath.
Which medical insurance should I get?
To ensure students have appropriate insurance coverage we have selected two insurance companies (Orbit Protect and Uni-Care) who offer excellent student plans which comply with the Ministry of Education’s requirements. Check out the companies’ websites below to see which plan would best suit your needs. Keep in mind only some plans cover travel outside of New Zealand to places like Australia.
Your coverage must commence on the day you begin travelling and we recommend it concludes when you arrive home. We require all students to take out a policy with one of these two companies and we must receive a copy of your insurance certificate before or on arrival at school. If we do not have a copy of your insurance certificate at the time you register on the first day of school, we will require you to immediately take out a policy with either Orbit Protect or Uni-Care.
To get a quote and make application for medical insurance with either of these companies, click on the links below that will take you to their respective websites.
Will my parents travel / medical insurance be OK?
Unfortunately, most parents travel / medical insurance will not be acceptable, but below are the minimum cover requirements that we will accept. The sums insured must be very high so that they will not be exceeded in any possible claim.
• NZ$600,000 for hospitalisation, general practitioners, and prescriptions
• NZ$600,000 for medical rescue/repatriation should you become seriously ill or injured and need to be accompanied home with a medical professional
• NZ$15,000 for funeral expenses and repatriation of the body back home
• NZ$30,000 for accompanying relative cover. If you becomes seriously ill or die, cover is required to support a relative to accompany and support you. This should include the relative's day-to-day accommodation, reasonable living costs and the cost of airfares
• NZ$20,000 to fly you home should a member of your immediate family become critically ill or die
• NZ$20,000 for death or disability benefit
• NZ$1,000,000 for personal liability
• NZ$5,000 Loss or damage to baggage and other personal effects
• NZ$5,000 for travel delay and missed transport connection
In addition, the following requirements must also be met:
• The insurance commences on the day the student begins their travel
• The insurance applies whilst the student is in transit
• The insurance applies 24 hours a day for the total period of travel overseas
• The insurer must provide emergency 24-hour, 7 day per week cover
• Any excess or co-insurance must not exceed NZ$1000
• The broker or agent promoting the policy is a reputable and established company with substantial experience in the travel and medical insurance business
• The insurer (or re-insurer) is a reputable and established company with substantial experience in the travel insurance business. The credit rating must be no lower than BBB from Standard and poors, or B+ from A M Best